Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Downtown on the square


As in many small towns, community life in Bainbridge centers around our downtown square. We’re a little different. Our courthouse does not dominate this town center. It is on the corner across the street. The square is a park complete with a gazebo/bandstand, lovely flowers, memorials, a cannon and the almost requisite Confederate soldier. Oh, and a goldfish pond.
It’s where we gather on Christmas Eve to listen to the Bainbridge Brass Band and join our neighbors in singing carols, where the high schoolers promenade before the big Prom, where we have our annual Artsfest Saturday morning.
This year on Flag Day we gathered again to welcome National Guard members home from Iraq, listen to one of our favorite daughters sing patriotic songs and share our lunch.
Small town living at its very best.

2 comments:

Trilla said...

Thanks, Susan. I'm hoping to tell more about my hometown as we go along. Glad you like the photo. So do I.

T.

Anonymous said...

Sitting here isolating, due to Orange level pollution and wondered off the Newsletter I was on and found your blog.
Small towns steal your heart, people come into your life by way of churches in small towns, stay forever. I live in a small town, Granbury Texas, the best little town in Texas. I'm glad you love yours and that you love to garden, makes me feel cozy!

Shirley