Monday, February 22, 2010

It's been a long, long time!




It’s George Washington’s birthday! My mother always baked a cherry pie and delivered it to the supper table with vanilla ice cream and a lecture on telling the truth. “Always the best policy,” she declaimed.
Here’s my February 22, 2010 truth. I’ve been gone from this blog a long, long time, and on about half of those many intervening days, I’ve told myself tomorrow, or maybe next week. Today, I thought Now!
So, a quick 21 months and few days update. Ginger is gentled. Heck, Ginger is a housecat par excellence! Here he is gazing out the Houston living room window and posing for his Valentine portrait.
Houston? Yes! I say “Houston!” For we now are for the most part (still have the house in Georgia) far from the glories of southern Georgia small town living, and in the heart of the exciting city I’ve felt was my home from the time I first visited in 1965 right through my long (20 plus years) sojourn away. We call a leased house in Montrose (the artsy, eclectic fun part of the city) home.
Thanks to my friend Linda who revved up her first blog yesterday—check her out here, http://lindadrawingtime.blogspot.com/ . I realize it’s time to get back. Ginger agrees.

And enjoy a view of Houston February glory--although it may snow a little tomorrow night.

5 comments:

Linda Hicks said...

Both you and Ginger are inspirations.

Linda Hicks said...

I hope to add the cherry pie to our too few rituals next year.

Alice said...

Trilla, our mutual friend Linda has been urging me to visit your blog. I loved this one! MY mother, too, used always to make a cherry pie for Washington's birthday. AND she made a Lincoln Log cake for Lincoln's. (This was a chocolate jelly roll type cake.) Such fun reading your blog and getting to know you that way. Now I must read your book review which Linda is also sending me to. Were you and Linda friends in high school? I'm a Texan too; grew up in Austin!

Alice said...

Trilla, Linda sent me to your blog. My mother (I grew up in Austin) used always to make a cherry pie for George's b.day. And Lincoln Log cake for Abe's! Now to read your book review of LIT (I think I'm right) that Linda is also sending me the link to!

Trilla said...

I love it! My mom served Lincoln Log cake on Lincoln's birthday,too. Only she wasn't much for baking so our's came from Keeney's Bakery in Amarillo, Texas.