Thursday, September 07, 2006

Making ourselves at home


We’re getting used to our new weekend place in Tallahassee. Last week we celebrated our anniversary and hit some art galleries. This Friday we’ll go to a History Department party, a clothing exchange (more about that maybe tomorrow--it sounds like fun), and a Neil Simon play at the Little Theatre on Saturday.
Marti made a comment on the Pied a Tally entry suggesting that I wave a sage wand in our new “home” so that it will be filled with “good, loving experiences.” I looked down in one of the galleries and there it was a sage wand. Thanks, for the good advice, Marti.
We are falling into a routine. No matter what home I’m in, I’m an early riser. We take a couple of miles or so walk around the lovely Florida State Campus as soon as it’s light. Most of the students are still sleeping in. One of my favorite spots is this fountain in Landis Green in front of the library (of course, my favorite building). Later in the day, it will be filled with real students frolicking. About as often as not, someone will toss in a good squirt of liquid detergent. That’s why these make-believe students are enjoying a bubble bath.
After we’ve walked briskly we stop at our place and pick up Frank-the-dog who is getting old for these brisk walks. The three of us stroll down to the all-night All Saints’ Coffee House to enjoy the newspaper, coffee and a refreshing bowl of water.
The good life. (It’s not a muzzle on Frank, but a “Gentle Leader” that keeps him from tugging and saves my back. I recommend it.)

No comments: