Thursday, March 03, 2011

Gentle Ginger and Determined Douglas

In the very early days in Georgia

‘Way back early in this blog, I shared how Ginger came to our house in South Georgia and declared it his homestead—or perhaps, he declared us his people. (Check out the ‘Gentling Ginger’ entries.) For the house is still in Georgia, but Ginger, Bob and I are growing happier and happier being more and more Texas.  

Here Ginger! Here Ginger!

Ginger’s changed lots since he was sliding under the house and reluctant to be touched. He’s now a lap cat (this is new) and it appears is becoming something of a computer expert!
About those attachments!
Naptime



            Meanwhile. . . outside our leased house another drama unfolds. We met Douglas last summer when he’d drop by all well-groomed and wearing a collar with his name. One day when I was walking around the block, I met his owners.
            But things have changed. Douglas isn’t combed and groomed. In fact, he’s matted and miserable looking, missing his collar. And he’s hungry. One of our neighbors speculates the owners moved and Douglas didn’t.
            Ouch.
And here's Douglas
            So, no, Douglas is not going to come in. (He’s surely a charmer, though!) But we will open a breakfast bar by the back door.
            We’ll see how this unfolds.

3 comments:

Linda Hicks said...

I wish I could have Douglas...not that Joe would allow now. Amazing that Ginger is now a lap cat. What a treat. Ginger might like Douglas. Any breakfast bar at your house would attract a crowd.

Linda Hoye said...

Douglas is fortunate to have found someone like you. It's hard to imagine how someone could move and leave a family member (which is what I consider our pets) behind.

Lee Ambrose said...

I LOVE the picture of Douglas with his nose up close to the camera! So curious - imagine that! And I love that your once feral Ginger is now a lap kitty -- a true sign of affection and appreciation! I wonder what the attraction to computer is? My Maggie (my feral best little lap kitty ever) was always on it or laying on the desk with paw on my hand while I was on it!