Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rabbit, Rabbit? Rabbit?

  
Somewhere along the line years and years, well yes, and years ago, son Patrick came home from school on the last day of some month seriously informing us we must say “Rabbit” the next morning before we said anything else.
            We questioned “why?” I’m not sure he knew. Was it to bring luck? Avoid bad luck? Why?
            Didn’t matter. We had to do it. Period. (Maybe he’ll read this and comment on what he remembers.)
             
            In all those years it has been a challenge. If I remember (and I’ll do it in just a minute) I e-mail Patrick and siblings a few days ahead a terse one word message, “Rabbit.” Sometimes, I remember midday on the first. Sometimes, the next week. Sometimes, not at all.
            I’ve met a few people who also do it.  A few insist it must be “Rabbit, Rabbit.” And recently I learned that proper form is “Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit.” Okay. It is according to one account properly done on the first day of the lunar month making it even easier to remember. It is a salute to Nature’s sacred critter, not a rabbit but looks like one, whose name may not be spoken.
            It might be that the last word on the last day of the month is “Hare.” I think that is pushing it.
            Here are a link that explain it more, http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2010/jul/21/rabbits-hares-first-of-month

     The source is the UK because, apparently, England is where the tradition began, and in some sort of poetic justice, or quirk of luck, Patrick now makes his home in jolly old England.

     Since this is the year of the Rabbit, seems more appropriate than ever to follow the practice.


     So tomorrow morning--Rabbit! Rabbit! Rabbit.

4 comments:

Alice said...

Trilla, I had never heard of this tradition. Wonderful post, in every way--the pictures, the content, everything! Loved it!

Linda Hicks said...

As a result of this post, I confirmed I was born in the year of the rabbit and colored a rabbit at a Chinese new year site.I never heard of this. Can't keep up with all the lunar information...so I am glad I have you!!

Nancy M said...

I think a several of us were born in the Year of the Rabbit. I have a weakness for rabbits/bunnies myself. Thank you for sharing, Trilla. And Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit to all.

jerry said...

Yes, you must say Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit the first thing you say of the month before you say ANYTHING else, and all the month you will have good luck. If you say one other word before Rabbit... it will not work. Have heard this all my life.