Thursday, December 22, 2005

First day of winter

it's the first full day of winter. Last night we passed the Solstice at 6:38 GMT. I went into the back garden with a glass of red wine to share its passing. The sky was rosy, aglow with reflections of London, a mere 35 miles away. I sipped the wine and thought of the immensity of the universe, the vastness of time, the nearness of a new life. Then, almost by instinct, I gently poured some wine onto a spot of bare ground. As I did, I thought of Demeter. Today things begin to be better for her.

Things are good for the beloved daughter and granddaughter in this home. Daria is awash in grandmothers, love and all of her rich heritage. Bab Zina arrived from Moscow this morning. She glowed as she stepped from the car and reached her arms for Daria. This is her first grandchild--the daugher of her only child and daughter, and she waited three weeks for this moment!

She has been her only two hours and already she has Daria bundled up and well cuddled. They are sitting outside at the garden table getting acquainted. I trust Zina is telling her Russian family stories. She has already learned (or begun to) about her Texas mothers as I coo and chat with her. Now she hears tales from a world away! Rich heritage indeed. Loved indeed.

I will continue to cuddle and cradle for two days, trying to give us both a great store of love, and then it's back to the U.S. for me. Happy here and happy to be heading home.

No comments: